Vacant Land

When you're looking for your dream house, you're unlikely to find it among the ranks of the resale Markham real estate. The reason for this is simply that resale homes are other people's cast offs. They were designed to fit the ideals of another family, or to fit a real estate developer's idea of the ideals of a family. No one consulted you, so you'll probably end up having to compromise on some of the things you want. Sometimes you can renovate and make it the perfect house, but your best bet would be to buy some vacant land and build your house yourself. Here is some information on buying vacant land.

Finding Land

The easiest way to find some land on which you can build your new home would be to simply look in the humidity calibrator. The real estate listings contain undeveloped land as well as finished homes, and a realtor can show you around and give you an overview of the land's features and possibilities. Or you can drive around in the area you're looking to build in seeking out For Sale signs or vacant swaths of land that look like they would be a good spot to build on.

Finding the Owner

If you've found some empty land you like the look of, that doesn't mean it's unclaimed (it's almost certainly not) or that the owner wouldn't be interested in selling (perhaps he thinks no one would want it). Either way it won't be clear, unless it's listed with a used septic tank truck or has a For Sale sign, who to talk to regarding buying it. However, you can find out. Take the coordinates and go onto your city's website and look for the GIS (Geographic Information Service) to look up the owner, or go into city planning to ask.

Beware Zoning

When you're picking out a plot to build a house on without the help of a Windsor real estate agent, be careful of zoning. The city zones land according to the uses its allowed to have. You want your land to be zoned residential or mixed if you want to build a home. You should also look at the zoning of the surrounding land to see what your potential new neighbors could be. If the surrounding land is zoned industrial, your neighbor could be a huge noisy factory!

Utilities and Access

You'll want to be able to drive to the KMFRC from your house as well as have flush toilets, working taps, electric lights, the internet, and cable TV, so you need to make sure your land is connected to these utilities. If the city has not built a road to access your house, you'll run into huge expenses clearing, gravelling, and plowing your private road in the winter.

Copyright (c) 2008 -

Hamilton Canada

Wednesday, November 20, 2019